To celebrate the Lunar Year of the Ox, the Royal Australian Mint has released this 2021 $1 Uncirculated Two-Coin set. The set, which features the honest and reliable Ox and the lunar calendar wheel, is designed to appeal to collectors or those seeking an auspicious and traditional gift for Chinese New Year.
Ox is the second of the twelve signs in the Chinese Zodiac. According to legend the Jade Emperor announced a Great Race to establish the first twelve signs of the Zodiac. At the end of the race the animals had to across a fast-flowing river and the first twelve would take their place in the Zodiac.
The dependable and powerful Ox easily crossed the river and would have won, except the clever Rat hitched a ride on the Ox’s back and jumped off to claim the prize. The Ox – the original quiet achiever – accepted the result with grace and humility.
This is indicative of the inner strength, patience and honesty that are characteristics of those born in the Year of the Ox
- Uncirculated set of two coins
- First coin’s reverse depicts the active and strong-willed Ox
- Second coin’s reverse depicts the lunar calendar wheel, rotated so that this year the Ox takes pride of place
- Coins’ obverses feature the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed by Jody Clark
- Packaged in an auspicious red and gold card
- Australian legal tender
- Denomination - $1
- Metal - AlBr
- Mass - 9.00g
- Diameter - 25.00mm
- Finish - Uncirculated
- Maximum Mintage - 30 000