2020 RAM $1 Coloured 1/2oz Fine Silver Coin - Star Dreaming - The Seven Sisters
This product is sold out
- For indigenous Australians the star cluster Pleiades in the constellation Taurus is known as the Seven Sisters. Stories described them as a group of young women being pursued by unwanted male attention. Wajarri-Noongar artist Christine ‘Jugarnu’ Collard’s artwork Seven Jijas (sisters) is a feature of the coins design. Indigenous Australians were the first astronomers and have long used the stars as maps.
- The Yamaji people of the Murchison region in Western Australia, refer to the Seven Sister stars as Nyarluwarri in the Wajarri language. When Nyarluwarri sits low on the horizon at sunset, the people know that emu eggs are ready for harvesting. Yamaji people use the stars to also predict seasonal rainfall by observing how bright or faded the star cluster is at certain times of the year.
- The songline of the seven sisters fleeing to the sky to escape a man who wants to take one as his wife, is frequently depicted in Aboriginal paintings.
- Indigenous Australians are considered the oldest civilisation in the world and aboriginal culture dates back more than 65,000 years. Aboriginal people were the first astronomers and for tens of thousands of years, the stars have acted as navigation maps, weather predictors, calendars, timekeeping tools and lent a backdrop to storytelling.
- This is the second coin in the Star Dreaming series.
- Coin’s reverse features the’ Seven Jijas (sisters)’ artwork by Wajarri-Noongar artist Christine ‘Jugarnu’ Collard
- Coin’s obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed by Jody Clark
- Maximum mintage 5000
- Presented in a display case
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Australian legal tender
- Specifications: $1 AUD, 99.90% Ag, 1/2oz, 35.89mm
- Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask