To celebrate the Lunar Year of the Tiger, the Royal Australian Mint has released this 2022 $1 Uncirculated Two-Coin Set featuring the charming and powerful Tiger and the Lunar calendar wheel. The set is designed to appeal to collectors or those seeking an auspicious and traditional gift for Lunar New Year.
The Tiger is the third of the twelve signs in the Chinese Zodiac. According to legend, the Jade Emperor announced a Great Race to establish the order of the twelve signs of the Zodiac. At the end of the race the animals had to cross a fast-flowing river to take their place in the Zodiac. The confident Tiger was a likely contender to win, but kept getting swept downstream by the strong currents. Showing the determination and strength synonymous with those born under the sign, the Tiger finally made it a shore after the Rat and the Ox.
People born in the Year of the Tiger are said to be brave, charming and well-liked. Famous Tigers include Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, actors Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio, performer Lady Gaga and Australia’s ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin.
- Uncirculated set of two coins
- First coin’s reverse depicts the powerful and charming Tiger
- Second coin’s reverse depicts the lunar calendar wheel, rotated so that this year the Tiger takes pride of place
- Coins’ obverses feature the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed by Jody Clark
- Packaged in an auspicious red and gold card
- Australian legal tender
- Denomination - $1 AUD
- Metal Content - AlBr
- Mass - 9.00g each
- Diameter - 25.00mm
- Finish - Uncirculated
- Maximum Mintage - 30,000
- Packaging - Two Coins in Card